Are you a dog owner? If you are you sure love to pamper your dog, like all of us. Often we give a little of our food to them because they are insistent and are watching us with those beautiful eyes, pleading for a little of that delicacy of the gods with which we satisfy our hunger.
We often assume that as fruit is healthy for us, it will also be healthy for them. But this is a big mistake we make because as we all know, our bodies work in completely different ways. In fact there are some fruits and vegetables that are toxic to our puppies.
If you know that sooner or later you will end up sharing your snacks with your pet, then make sure you do not feed them treats with any of the ingredients on this list:
1 – Grapes and raisins
Grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs and this is becoming common knowledge among pet owners. While some dogs may consume them without symptoms, this simply is not worth the risk. Ingestion of these foods can lead to irreversible damage to the kidneys. Remember: Always keep grapes and raisins away from your beloved cub!
2 – Onions and Garlic
As for onions and garlic, opinions are divided. Some people agree that there are benefits to feeding our dogs with garlic. But the Pet Envenomation Helpline warns that garlic is considered even more toxic than onion. Either way, both are harmful and can cause serious problems in our little friends, such as: Lethargy, elevation of the heart and respiratory rates, pale gums and even collapse.
3 – Cherries
Cherries are sweet fruits and many people eat them between main meals. The fruit pulp is something you can give your dog to eat but the plant and seed are toxic to our animals and their ingestion can result in respiratory failure and death. Because the plant and the sid contain cyanide, it is not surprising that they are toxic. Keeping them away from our beloved furry sounds like a good idea, do not you think?
4 – Mushrooms
Mushrooms have always been responsible for a high mortality rate. This is because before many people could not identify them, as consumables or poisonous. Apparently our canine pets also do not get along very well with a small amount of species of mushrooms. If they eat it, we should run to the veterinarian quickly because the toxicity of the mushrooms is known to be fatal in dogs. Symptoms are seizures, tremors, and organ failure.
5 – Blackcurrants
Currants contain the same level of toxicity as raisins and grapes! If you notice vomiting and diarrhea in your canine, after consuming gooseberry, take it to the veterinarian and explain the situation. This fruit can cause severe kidney failure in your loved one.
6 – Green or raw potatoes
This may even seem surprising, given that quality dog food often contains potatoes. Raw or green potatoes are toxic to both us and our dogs. The symptoms in our furry friends are nausea, vomiting, seizures and cardiac irregularities. If you’re cooking and dropping a piece of potato, pick it up right away, do not let your little friend delight in a bit of “poison.”
7 – Damascus
As well as cherries, the seeds, leaves and stems of the damask plant are toxic to our pets. The pulp of the fruit can be consumed without harmful effects. Since this plant contains cyanide, you already know that your intake can cause respiratory failure and lead to death.
8 – Rhubarb
Although it is delicious, we should never give anything with rhubarbs to canines. The leaves and stalks deplete calcium levels in our friends’ bodies and this can result in kidney failure as well as other problems.
9 – Apple Seeds
An apple is a harmless food if you are careful to remove the seed because it contains cyanide and as has been explained previously, it is toxic. Our canines have the craze to eat whatever appears however we must be careful and see if they do not eat a fruit basket! It could be the end. If you want to give apple to your puppy, avoid the fruit core.
10 – Tomato Plants
The red tomato, can be beneficial for our dogs, already the plant is completely toxic. The stems and leaves of the tomato plant, as well as the still green fruit, can cause the gastrointestinal upset in our beloved canines. Make sure your pet does not devour your quince and your tomatoes.
If your puppy consumes some of this food, do not panic! Observe it and notice the symptoms and without delay take it to the veterinarian. The most important thing is to prevent them from consuming them!